Thursday, August 2, 2012

The visitors

Lately life just does not want to be blogged. And so a whole month went by with no posts.

Not that there weren't things going on. A couple of operas, a few movies, a couple of concerts. Plus lots of things to learn in the new job.

Last week something worth blogging did happen: I was visited by the Little Beast (5 yrs old) and Mr. Octopus (2 yrs old). They and their parents stayed with us for four days.

It was better than I expected, given their nicknames (I did not come up with those). In fact, we had lots of fun, with not a single incident regarding vomiting, food spilling or breaking any valuables. The yellow dog was stressed out for about 5 minutes, and then moved on to happily play with the little guys, who were great with following instructions on how to interact and play with her.

They left last Sunday and the sense of vacuum was unbearable.  Even worse, I had once more the urgency to fill up that vacuum and start shooting artificial hormones again. To say I was depressed is an understatement.

I am  better now. The fact that I am still washing sheets and putting stuff back where it belongs helps me realize that it's nice to clean only after myself, the spouse and the yellow dog. If I had a couple of kids I would not be enjoying a Netflix movie with a beer in my hand at 9:30 on a weekday, with a mountain of clean laundry in the middle of the guest room, still waiting to be folded and put away.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're better now, and able to focus on the positives of your life. It's tough dealing with all this - and of course in three days you saw the fun bits of life with kids not necessarily the negatives too. Sending best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true Mali...I often just focus on the fun but you know that when they get back home and back to a normal routine...it's not always fun and games. There is vomiting, food spilling and breaking of valuables.

    Pearl, I am so glad that you are okay now and you took the time to realize that there are positives in your life...a movie and a cold beer, your hubby and the yellow dog all sound like a great life!

    ReplyDelete