Sunday, March 27, 2011

Catharsis through tragedy vs good memories

 I mentioned on an earlier post that a Verdi aria from Rigoletto made me feel a little better. I also decided to watch a few more tragic operas to see if I could get the same effect.

So I went to the library and checked out not one, but two of Verdi's tragic operas.... along with a non tragic one by Donizetti: The Daugher of the Regiment.

I had seen that production in the SF Opera right after a failed IUI. We spent the whole weekend in San Francisco, ate in expensive places and went to two different museums, in addition to going to the opera and having a great time. I like Donizetti, and this particular production was very amusing. I don't think I had ever laughed so much at the opera as when I saw this production.

So I of course ended up watching The Daughter of the Regiment and remembering how much fun I had when I saw it live.

I never got to watch the other two. Which is all right. I have now to return all three to the library, and though I could check out the Verdi operas later on, it is nice to remember that laughter is the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment